James Vaughan scored moments after coming on as a substitute to set Everton on their way to a first victory in nearly two months by beating ten-man Burnley 2-0 at Goodison Park.

The game looked destined to end without a goal before Stephen Jordan was sent off for Burnley for a silly short pull, collecting his second booking from referee Howard Webb with half an hour still to play.

But the hosts had to wait until the last ten minutes for the goals. First Vaughan finished tidily after a goalmouth scramble and then Steven Pienaar flashed in a drive at the near post to make the points safe.

Both teams had chances in a bright opening half hour. Lifelong Evertonian David Nugent should have done better after a defensive lapse but cushioned his shot wide and strike partner and Liverpool fan Steven Fletcher forced a smart block from Tim Howard after displaying excellent touch and control.

At the other end Yakubu should have done better after getting free in the area, volleying tamely on to the post and Diniyar Bilyaletdinov forced a good low save from Brian Jensen.

Nugent, playing at Goodison Park for the first time, hit the outside of the far post for Burnley in the second half after turning well into space in the box, but that was the Clarets’ best chance as Jordan’s lapse in concentration cost them the chance to collect at least a point.

Jensen had to be alert to make a fine tip over the bar from Yakubu’s header and it seemed a goal was likely sooner rather than later.

Everton manager David Moyes threw on Vaughan and the substitution paid dividends immediately. Pienaar was given too much room to cross and the ball evaded everyone, bouncing kindly into Vaughan’s path off Burnley’s substitute defender Christian Kalvenes. Vaughan kept his head to beat the helpless Jensen in the Burnley goal to score his first goal for two years and resurrect a career so far blighted by injury.

Kevin McDonald had a half chance to equalise but snatched at the opportunity as Burnley looked to rescue a point, but their efforts were to be in vain and a second goal came in injury time when Yakubu strode through the middle of the pitch unchallenged to play in Pienaar, who picked his spot at the near post, beating Jensen with a powerful effort.

Burnley boss Owen Coyle will rue the chances his side missed and was clearly furious with Jordan for his costly error.

Neither side had any form going into the match, with only one win between them in the last two months. But Everton will hope their win will finally kick start a season in which they have toiled away fruitlessly.

Burnley are now without a win in nine games and are peering anxiously over their shoulder at the relegation zone, which lies just three points away. The break for the 3rd round of the FA Cup comes at a perfect time for Coyle and his men with a relegation dogfight looking on the cards for 2010.